Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I think my dog might of eaten 4 of my xls medical tablets.

Customer Question

I think my dog might of eaten 4 of my xls medical tablets. She is a 2 year old shih tzu. Will she be ok if she has swallowed them?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What are the ingredients in the tablets? Milligrams?
2- How much does she weigh?
3- How long has it been since she ate them?
4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Each tablet contains -
Active ingredients = litramine, a patented fibre complex of organic plant source (prickly pear)
Excipients = microcrystalline cellulose, calcium hydrogen phosphate dihydrate, croscarmellose sodium, silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, chlorophyllin.
No amounts in mg for any of the above.
Other ingredients = vitamin A- acetate (retinol) vitamin d, and vitamin e, total vitamin content is a = 800ug, vitamin d = 5ug, vitamin e = 10mg.
She weigh's 11.4 pound
It's been 2-3 hours we think.
No we don't.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Kerri, the amount of the vitamins listed are not going to be toxic she will be fine in this regard. As far as the litramine, there is no information as far as toxic potential or toxic dose in dogs. I would contact your local animal poison control and see if they have any information on Litramine. In the meantime, observe her. Any symptoms out of the ordinary like lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. have her checked by a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply about vitamins but as the expert shouldn't you be able to tell me about the poison content? As I have paid for you to answer my question, can you not find me the necessary information please? That is why I went through you, so I could get the information needed. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Kerri, unfortunately there are medications or supplements in which there is no research studies to their effect in dogs. I do have plenty of literature and information available. But, there is nothing on Litramine in dogs, sorry. I will opt out so other experts can see this question and comment if they do have additional information. Please, do not reply to this so the question does not come to me and remains open for other experts to see.

Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'll follow up for Dr. Peter for you. Here is what Litramine is according to the manufacturer's website: "Litramine™ IQP G-002AS is a proprietary and patented natural fibre complex derived mainly from Opuntia ficus-indica, and enriched with additional soluble fibres from Acacia spp. through a patent pending technology. IQP G-002AS is standardised for its lipophilic activity and has been shown to reduce dietary fat absorption through gastrointestinal fat binding, resulting in significant weight loss. Its optimised and unique particle size and fibre ratio delivers significantly greater lipophilic activity than the generic Opuntia ficus-indica alone."

In other words, it's nothing more than a combination of natural plant fibers and no toxicity is expected in your Shih Tzu. Any adverse effects should be limited to mild gastrointestinal distress - vomiting and/or diarrhea - from eating such an unfamiliar food. No treatment is necessary and there's a good chance that you won't see any adverse effects at all.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you ;)
It's my pleasure.

I'm unable to schedule a follow-up in this venue so please let me know how Coco is doing tomorrow. You can return to this conversation at your convenience. Please don't open up a new question.

Please disregard the info request.