Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

hi my dog is 12 now and found a little lump on his bum had

Customer Question

hi my dog is 12 now and found a little lump on his bum had a look agen and it has grown in weeks tree sizes in a few weeks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Shadow. My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

How big is the lump now? Is it bleeding at all, or does it bother him?

Many lumps on a dog's body are benign, but about 15 to 20% can be cancer. The ones I worry about are ones that bleed, bother the dog and grow quickly. If this has tripled in size since you first noticed it, my best recommendation is to have it removed before it gets too big to completely remove.

Another option would be to have FNA, fine needle aspirate done by your veterinarian. That means putting a small needle into the lump, and putting the cells from the needle on a glass slide to be examined microscopically. If cancerous cells are seen, this should be removed soon.

Please let me know if this helps, and what else I can answer for you.

Rebecca