Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

MY DOG WAS LIMPING AND MY VET TOLD ME SHE HAD GRISTLE ON HER

Customer Question

MY DOG WAS LIMPING AND MY VET TOLD ME SHE HAD GRISTLE ON HER HIND LEGS WHICH COULD BE REMOVED,WHICH HE DID,BUT NOW AFTER THE OPERATION,IT IS 3 WEEKS LATER,SHE IS LIMPING AGAIN?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. I suspect that many vets were puzzled by "gristle on her hind legs which could be removed". Gristle is usually thought of as cartilage - especially when found as tough, inedible tissue in meat. Can you clarify just what kind of surgery was performed and where it was performed? We might be able to "clean up a joint" that has become osteoarthritic over time - very much like we might do in a professional athlete - but canine patients such as those still will need nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) such as carprofen or meloxicam from time to time and a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol might be necessary if pain isn't sufficiently relieved by the NSAID - particularly if a joint remains unstable in spite of surgery.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.