Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a three year old Shih tzu. Yesterday he began to walk

I have a three year old Shih tzu. Yesterday he began to walk as if his spine was curved to the right. His back legs appear to want to go sideways, crab like instead of forwards. His back leg has appeared to buckle under his weight a couple of times. He is in good health otherwise and is not overweight. Ant ideas.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did these symptoms come on quickly?
2- How is he doing today?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He went to bed fine on Monday night and on Tuesday he displayed these symptoms a little. We refrained from walking him to rest it. Today it seems a little worse and in addition he appears to be licking his right leg / foot more than usual
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Janet, when we see curvature of the spine and hind limb motor dysfunction it is usually secondary to a pinch nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc (intervertebral disc disease). The best option for Henry is to have him seen by a veterinarian as soon as you can to start him on anti inflammatory prescription medication. Untreated this can get worst and he could even become paralyzed. For this reason it is extremely important you have him checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can. In the meantime, rest him. No running or jumping; activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter