Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

is a star lilly bulb dangwrsos to a small yorkie dog on monday

Customer Question

is a star lilly bulb dangwrsos to a small yorkie dog on monday afternnon we found one in the garden he took out of the pot we think he as eaten a little bit of it and is poos have become very big and a bit sloppy when he passes them
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Can you clarify which lily you're refering to? The stargazer lily is non-toxic to dogs. In any event, it sounds as if Oscar is doing nicely. If you have the scientific name for that lily, I could be most accurate for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
All I no is that it is a star Lilly bulb
I believe that you're referring to the Lilium 'Stargazer' (the Stargazer lily) which is a hybrid lily of the Oriental group. The bulb isn't toxic to dogs. I suspect that when Oscar was rooting around the pot he ingested dirt and perhaps bits of the bulb. He should normalize shortly. There's no reason to treat Oscar unless his stools remain "sloppy" for more than 72 hours. Please keep his diet steady for now and think of anything else that may have precipitated the change in his stools - a change in regular diet, treats, medicines?