Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Puppy sleeps a lot and is not eating much

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. My moderator has asked me to see if you still need help. You do deserve the consideration of a reply.

Puppies do sleep a lot but if they run around like puppies do in between sleeping, it's unlikely that anything is amiss. Whether he's eating enough would be predicated upon his weight. Check the recommended amount to feed him on the food label and see if he really is eating enough. Weigh him daily and see if he's losing, maintaining, or gaining weight. You might be surprised to see that he's not only eating enough but gaining nicely.

Are there any symptoms of illness that you're seeing at this time - vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing, coughing, increased respiratory rate, pale mucous membranes of his gums/tongue? Has Lil Billy had his initial puppy shots? Has he been wormed?

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.