Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My papillon dog has just eaten one nicorandil 10mg,is it likely

Customer Question

My papillon dog has just eaten one nicorandil 10mg,is it likely to harm him he weighs 2.6kg
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
There are limited studies in dogs concerning nicorandil. The LD50 - the dose needed to kill one half of the dogs in the studies - was as low as 62.5mg/kg. Bongo ingested 10mg/2.6kg which is equivalent to just 3.85mg/kg. The only significant adverse effect I would expect in Bongo is hypotension which would be evidenced by weakness and lethargy. Hence, if Bongo ingested the nicorandil within an hour, I would induce emesis by dosing him with 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 teaspoon given between his cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 mintues. If not, please repeat the same dose.

Please let me know how you proceed.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

May I have an update on Bongo, please?