Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog has been crying for about an hour and we didnt know

My dog has been crying for about an hour and we didn't know why, then my husband found two slugs on her fur and she has been biting and scratching at them, she is covered in slime which we have tried to wash off but I won't come off. The slugs have also now been removed but she is still very clingy and keeps crying. What can we do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

If she is still highly agitated, and you feel that the debris from the slugs is bothering her, then you can bathe her in dish detergent to remove this type of debris. Do not get this in her face or near her eyes as this can cause signifcant corneal burns/ulcers.

Dr. Joey :

If her skin appears red and irritated and this was my patient I might recommend try administering diphenhydramine (antihistamine) at 1 mg per pound which for her is probably half of the 25mg tablet every 12 hours. This has no bad side effect other than to cause drowsiness, which might not be a bad thing to calm her down right now. This helps counteract allergic reaction. If, however, she has obvious significant skin irritation, then this drug will probably not be enough.

Dr. Joey :

Could the slugs have been exposed to any slug killer/bait? If so, then you need to monitor her closely for signs of toxicity (from eating/licking the slug) which might include excessive drooling, excessive tearing, shaking/trembling, vomiting or diarrhea. And if seen, then please have her seen by an emergency veterinarian right away.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks for the information. She hasn't settled all night and won't stop sitting on our heads in bed and then keeps jumping. We will most likely pop her in to our local vets just to check her out. Kindest regards.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
I absolutely agree this is the best next step. Perhaps, this has nothing to do with the presence of the slugs. They may have been coincidental for some sort of referred pain or discomfort. Please keep me posted! I am curious to find out what was wrong. And let me know if you have any further questions.