Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

9 yr old GSD has just passed blood during normal bowel movement,first

9 yr old GSD has just passed blood during normal bowel movement,first time that i have noticed it,is on RIMADYL for rest of life for leg problems
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

If this is the first time this has been observed, then there is not yet cause for alarm, unless the stool was very loose and primarily blood (that is likely to continue). If there was reasonably formed stool with some blood, then I would advise monitoring to see if this will be a persistent trend. A bit of blood in the stool once in a while is okay. It may reflect that she ingested something irritating to the colon such as an insect/bug or other organic item.

However, if this becomes a persistent problem in that she is producing some blood with every stool, and the stool is formed then this is time for you to have her evaluated by her veterinarian. In that case we would first rule out intestinal parasites (worms) versus primary digestive tract issues such as ingestion of unusual item that is not passing through well to colonic polyps or fistulas.

If, however, she develops very loose stool with blood, then this is an indication for her to be seen right away for evaluation. She may have ingested something unusual that is greatly upsetting her system or be developing hemorrhagic gastroenteritis syndrome or there are a whole host of other underlying problems that could lead to this.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.