Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our 10 yr old collie/cross labrador Ted, has started passing

Customer Question

Our 10 yr old collie/cross labrador 'Ted,' has started passing blood in his faeces. His appetite is fine but he shows signs of slight lethargy. Could this be something non serious or is it worthy of investigation. 2-3days ago his faeces was yellowish in colour but just noticed the blood yesterday and today. He's had a couple of charcoal biscuits for his tea. Would appreciate any advice you can give.
Jim & Moira Kean
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Ted is having blood in his stools

Dr. Altman :

Are the stools loose as well? Is the blood throughout, just at the end of a bowel movement, or coating the outside of his stool?

Dr. Altman :

Blood in the stool in general is something that should be addressed. If it is bright red that indicates colitis or inflammation of the colon

Dr. Altman :

CLICK HERE for more information on this condition

Dr. Altman :

You can try adding some white rice to his diet for 24-48 hours to help soothe the colon and bulk up the stool but if there is no change by Monday or things are progressing (increased blood, reduced appetite, vomiting) then I would strongly urge a veterinary exam to rule out anything more serious ongoing with Ted

Dr. Altman :

If you do have to go to your veterinary clinic then please bring a fresh or refrigerated fecal sample for evaluation

Dr. Altman :

Also, if he is able, taking him on long daily walks to help reduce colonic spasms and settle the intestinal tract down a bit

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if I can assist with any additional questions or clarify anything today

Dr. Altman :

I am going to change formats in a moment to ensure you are not having issues with live chat

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Hopefully this format is more available to you. Please let me know how else I can assist you both...
How is Ted doing? Has the blood in the stool resolved? I would love an update when you are able. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Altman,

Many thanks for your info on Ted's condition which was extremely useful. He appears to be back to normal now but we'll be keeping a careful eye on him in future.

Once again, many thanks.

Jim and Moira Kean

Yay! That is such great news, so glad he is back to normal :)

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance in the future. If you are satisfied with our chat please "rate" excellent or good so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you!