Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

my dog is holding his tail down and it seems to have a kink

my dog is holding his tail down and it seems to have a kink in it. he cannot settle down. what can I give him til I can get him to a vet tomorrow?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

I am glad you asked prior to administering any over the counter medicaiton

Dr. Altman :

The only safe over the counter pain medication is aspirin

Dr. Altman :
An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food

Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.

Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.
Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!