Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

my border collie has had diarrhea on and off for two weeks.

Customer Question

my border collie has had diarrhea on and off for two weeks. I have tried the chicken and pasta diet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

I am quite concerned by the length of time Benji has been experiencing this loose stool. This usually indicates there is a larger issue going on than just an easy ingestion of something odd that upset his system. On the one hand, at this point I highly recommend a visit to see his veterinarian as soon as you can arrange this. Of course, this is the weekend. If he was my patient I might recommend try the following which can only help. If this does not provide any improvement or there is again relapse of loose stool, then a visit is needed.

Dr. Joey :

What could you try at home:

1) Please continue to feed a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day. You may substitute boiled hamburger meat for the chicken.

2) Start a probiotic such as Culturelle you can buy for people at any pharmacy and give 1 capsule daily. Or if you have access to either of the dog probiotics (FortiFlora or Proviable) then use these.

3) Peptobismol tablet: Give 1/2 (one-half) tab by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea. This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications.

Dr. Joey :

And if not already done I would advocate an empirical deworming with Panacur, which you can purchase at any petstore. Make sure you use the appropriate powder for his weight. You give once daily for 3 days in a row as a general dewormer. Most dogs tolerate this well as long as you do not overdose on the product. I always recommend ask your vet first, and get a proper dose or get this from your vet.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.