Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 4 year old pug is eating same food she managed before llightly

My 4 year old pug is eating same food she managed before llightly boiled egg & Chappie dried food for breakfast & chappie wet food, sometimes poached chicken. This worked fine when I acquired her 3 months ago after a shaky start. Now after being away 10 days she has started pooing once/twice in the night & goes about 2/3 poos more a day. (breakfast 7.30 after walk and supper 7pm with 10pm last walk) Is it stress & will it settle. If she HAS to go I feel I should hold of caging her at night. It feels like she has regressed as normally a very good clean dog. At my wits end as also care for stroke affected fiance and will not be able to cope with both! I would be very grateful for suggestions....would a few teaspoons of plain yoghurt help anything? With thanks, Charlotte

PS. for info Ruby never had puppies with her breeder. It didnt 'take'. She was spayed just before I got her. I had asked a vet this question in the first month & she had paste & inection but nothing wrong.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Shantal,

I am happy to wait to arrive at an answer. For additional info if it did not reach you, Ruby was spayed just before she reached me but healed well, she never has had puppies. Her first breeder and owner fed her mostly home cooked food, but that is not an option for me and first vet suggested Chappie when she other things werent agreeing with her, and she will eat it. This morning she did not make a mess but still very loose and went 3 times today. We shall see what happens in the morning.

I look forward to hearing from your expert. Regards Charlotte

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. My moderator asked that I take a look at your question and I'm certainly pleased to do so. To summarize, Ruby doesn't appear to be tolerating the same diet she did nicely on when you first adopted her. You're concerned that the stress of your leaving for 10 days precipitated her increased frequency of diarrheic stools although you've returned to that same diet fed months ago. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

To answer your question directly, yes, our dogs can develop gastrointestinal distress when stressed but I would have expected Ruby to have normalized by now. Her symptoms demonstrate the urgency associated with a large bowel diarrhea. The etiologies of such a diarrhea are many - primary GI disorders such as a stress colitis, intestinal parasitism, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or a newly emerged food intolerance; and secondary GI disorders as seen with a pancreatitis or hepatitis, e.g.

A conservative approach would involve presumptively worming Ruby with an over the counter product containing either pyrantel pamoate or fenbendazole and if you didn't see a positive change, instituting the over the counter antimotility narcotic loperamine (Imodium in the States) at a dose of 0.1mg/kg every 8-12 hours. If Ruby still remained symptomatic, you might test her for a food intolerance.

Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that Ruby's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from her vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (my preference). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

Finally, if she didn't respond to any of the above, Ruby's vet should perform a thorough physical exam on her including a fecal ova and parasite exam which is included in a gastrointestinal diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests and so the panel is a cost effective manner in which to investigate Ruby's symptoms further.

I'm sorry that I can't be more specific for you. Ruby's symptoms aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder but the above should guide you in the right direction. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to keep you waiting the internet connection keeps cutting out. Anyway thank you for your response after your long experience. For your further information I had given Ruby vets worming pills just before I left. She has managed a 2nd night without mess but always has pretty loose stools unlike our pug 20 years ago where vet recommended Eukanuba & result was more like rabbit pellets! So Ruby IS returning to more normal & wlll follow your advice.When you talk to pug breeders they throw up their hands at the idea of commercial dried food however good. However as OAPs I was going for the Ford of dog foods not Rolls Royce! But I am allergic to soy so will investigate further. I will see what Hills prescription diet will do. Thank you for your suggestions. Charlotte

You're quite welcome, Charlotte. I'm pleased to hear that you wormed Ruby prior to your leaving. All breeders seem to feel that their breed is more special than the next and needs to be fed in a special manner. You and I know that that's simply not true. If you feel that Ruby is remissing there's no reason to do anything more than continuing to "watchful wait". You can always institute loperamide and/or a different diet if she backslides.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'll speak to you soon.

Please disregard the info request.