Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Hi should I be worried about my 5 month old Karakachan puppy

Hi should I be worried about my 5 month old Karakachan puppy he seems unwilling to run around and play for more than a few minutes before lying down again (even when in the company of other dogs) and is generally sluggish although he eats and drinks normally. He was separated from his siblings last weekend and I expected it to take some time for him to settle in, is a week long enough ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

At this age I must concur with you that after a few days of acclimation to his new household he should remain energetic for moderate periods of time. I would also expect a puppy used to other members of his litter to be quite excited to have a playmate again. We tend to only see puppies under 12 weeks of age experiencing the profound sleepiness (they nap all the time) and at 5 months he should have lots of energy. I do think it well worthwhile to have your veterinarian perform a good examination followed by some lab work to screen for possible issues that could include intestinal parasites, anemia, electrolyte problems (low blood sugar, low potassium). If a problem is found, then it can be addressed.

Dr. Joey :

It may also be a good idea to contact his breeder just to find out if any of the other puppies have issues (although the breeder may not admit if he/she knows the puppy has a problem or others in the litter but worth a try).

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.