Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Hi, About a month ago we bought our border collie raw hide

About a month ago we bought our border collie raw hide chews. They were bone shaped and really big and thick, which was good because one would last her about a week. After a few weeks we noticed a small section of skin on the outside of the bottom of her mouth was missing fur and had scabbed. The scab has since fallen off and now the skin is exposed. It has been 2-3 weeks that the skin has been exposed and we're afraid of it getting infected, although there are no current signs of it. What can we do to aid the healing process? We think this all happened when she was gnawing on the raw hide bone, because it would rub against her mouth as she licked and chewed on it.

Please help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This could be related to healing trauma, but most injuries to the lips/mouth from a chew item would heal rapidly (within 10-14 days maximum). Since this sounds like it has persisted well beyond that time, it either may be infected or has absolutely nothing to do with the rawhide. Instead this could be lip fold dermatitis (infection of the lower lip fold region which can be related to an underlying allergy or the anatomical conformation of the area) or immune-mediated disease. Those two problems will need to be addressed by your vet with some testing (skin scraping or tape prep test for cytology and then appropriate prescription medication to clear).

Dr. Joey :

What could you try in the meantime now that the weekend is upon us? If this was my patient and you were unable to get her in to be seen right away, I might recommend cleansing the area once to twice daily with a diluted betadine concentration (1 part water to 1 part betadine); you can purchase this at any pharmacy. And then trying treating for bacterial infection by use of a topical triple antibiotic ointment as made for people. The problem with topical treatment is that she is going to lick it off. Perhaps, if you do this treatment before you feed her she will not be as obsessed about licking it off, and more focused on eating, although she is going to lick it off. You can apply this ointment 2 to 4 times daily (given that she is going to lick it off; and it is safe to be licked off if you get an ointment that is neomycin/polymyxin/bacitracin).

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr Joey,

Many thanks for your expert reply.

Since posting the question, we cleaned the area in question to see if any blood was present. There was no blood on the cotton ball and Molly did not appear to be agitated at the touch. We think now that skin is present after looking at it closely, but the fur hasn't grown back yet. Molly Photo

We've attached a photo for your review.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
There are of this lesion is in what would be a lip fold infection. This is commonly unrelated to trauma (from a chewy) and more related to an allergy. But it can develop a terrible secondary infection. The topical remedy mentioned above would be fine until you can get her seen by her vet.
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience: 15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine