Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog started limping on her back leg 2 weeks ago, took her

my dog started limping on her back leg 2 weeks ago, took her to the vets where she walked without a limp and was told after a check up that she was fine. But 2 days ago she started to limp again but this time she is very lethargic she just lays and sleeps all day which is very unlike her. Normally she is running around like a mad thing. I'm very worried about her. Its the know energy that's worrying me can you help me please.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she limping on the same leg?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Can you take a rectal temperature on her?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she does have a little diarrhea and she is limping on the same rear leg.

I have nothing to take her temperature with but she does have a hot nose.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Julie, a very common injury to the hind limb in dogs is to the cranial cruciate ligament (ACL in humans). I agree with you dogs with a soft tissue injury normally do not become lethargic. So, it is possible this can be related to something else or she has two different problems. For example: Another condition that can cause a lameness and lethargy is Lyme disease. Or, she could have an injured ACL and gastrointestinal disorders (infections, ingestion of a foreign body), etc.
In this case Julie, Lily is going to need a hands on examination by a veterinarian and some testing (xrays and blood work) to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime do not give over the counter pain killers. Change her diet to rice and boiled boneless chicken until the stool is back to normal.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter