Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

my dog a cavalier King Charles (13) has mitral heart disease

Customer Question

my dog a cavalier King Charles (13) has mitral heart disease with fluid in Lungs is on medication for both Tonight took her out before bed and she was unable to walk, eyes odd and heartbeat very loud. Now is occasionally twitching, but can walk fine and has settled down to sleep. Should we take her to emergency vet
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear about Honey's issues tonight

Dr. Altman :

Since you are able to hear her heart beat can you count how many she has in 30 seconds? This can help me assess what her heart rate is

JACUSTOMER-bqbxx2vx- : will do
Dr. Altman :

Great thank you

JACUSTOMER-bqbxx2vx- : 56
Dr. Altman :

OK so that means that her heart rate is about 112 which is normal

Dr. Altman :

Can you please tell me her gum color?

JACUSTOMER-bqbxx2vx- : her gums are pink which I thought was odd but she didn't seem to be having trouble breathing when this was happening
Dr. Altman :

Is she resting? Can you please tell me how many breaths she takes in 30 seconds while resting?

JACUSTOMER-bqbxx2vx- : that was while she was resting she I lying down at moment and seems much calmer
Dr. Altman :

Great can you count the breaths now versus the heart rate?

JACUSTOMER-bqbxx2vx- : 8
Dr. Altman :

So far this information is normal

Dr. Altman :

Respiratory rate should be under 30 (which it is 16)

Dr. Altman :

Heart rate under 160

Dr. Altman :

Gum color nice and pink

Dr. Altman :

My concern is that she was throwing some irregular heart beats not necessarily a change in her heart disease

Dr. Altman :

This would explain her signs

Dr. Altman :

If you are able to keep her quiet tonight, no more exercise and carry her out to go potty but if it recurs try to get a heart rate and check her gums and please consider the veterinary er for an ecg

JACUSTOMER-bqbxx2vx- : definately irregular heartbeats they are always pretty bad but more so earlier and also they inability to stand and the occasional twitching
Dr. Altman :

Yes and in those situations she very well might need a new medication to prevent the irregular heart beats versus the typical medication for valvular disease

Dr. Altman :

And it would explain her symptoms as well

Dr. Altman :

Does this information and recommendations make sense today?

JACUSTOMER-bqbxx2vx- : I will do I will stay with her and take her to emergency vet in morning unless she gets worse. Thank you very ich for
Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome... please keep low lighting and sound tonight as well. Minimize her stimulation. How else can I assist you both?

JACUSTOMER-bqbxx2vx- : i will do and I will take her to emergency vet in morning unless she gets worse during night Thank you b
Dr. Altman :

Good luck to you and Honey, truly

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

JACUSTOMER-bqbxx2vx- : sorry I am getting I front of my self . thank you so much for your help I feel a little happier now.
Dr. Altman :

Glad I could assist you both and give you some relief :)

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you both...

Dr. Altman :

If you are satisfied with our chat please "rate" excellent or good so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you!