Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has had diarrhea since Thursday now there is blood in

My dog has had diarrhea since Thursday now there is blood in it. She is bright and still eating and drinking. Her stomach is making loud noises. The vet isn't open till tomorrow, should I take her to an emergency vet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As far as I know she hasn't eaten anything unusual although she is walked off the lead on a nature trail. The only other symptom is her licking at her bottom, though I just assumed its sore from the diarrhea

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Fiona, when we see blood in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). There are many possible causes; it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc. to name a few causes. The stomach noises are common when the intestines are over active.
In response to your question, it does not sound like she is in a life threatening condition based on her history. I would follow up with family veterinarian, in the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter