Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My Westie female dog is nearly six years old and seems to be

My Westie female dog is nearly six years old and seems to be having digestive problems. She eats normally for a few days, usually a mix if chicken, Cesar dog food and nibbles, but then brings up bile-like vomit for a day or so. After that is back to normal eating but then again after a few days the problem starts again. She also has a denta-stick each day and only water to drink. Is there a solution to this problem?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is she lethargic?
3- Any diarrhea?
4- Has she been seen by a veterinarian for this problem?
5- How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has always had digestive problems by they now seem more frequent. Not lethargic and no diarrhea. Weighs about 7kg. Has not seen the vet with this problem.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
June, there are many possible causes for vomiting. There is a solution to this problem but first need to reach a definitive diagnosis. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body or even secondary to a systemic disease. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Consider getting her dewormed; I would recommend Panacur (fenbendazole) given once a day for 3 days at label dose, repeat after 3 weeks. You can buy panacur online, vet's office or some pet stores.
5- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for xrays and blood work as initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.