Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our dog is nearly 17 years old..his legs have been a little

Our dog is nearly 17 years old..his legs have been a little stiff for a couple of weeks but was ok once he was up and about. From yesterday afternoon he hasn't been able to get up and has no inclination to. I don't think he is in pain but do you think I should get an emergency vet to come in as it's bank holiday. Obviously we are very worried because of his age....I would be very pleased of your advice.

Christine boulter
[email protected] gmail.com
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Christine. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Jebby is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Is he on any medications?
4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
5- Can you try to get him and see if he is able to support weight?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The answer is no rot all your questions..he can stand, very wobbly, but he won't get up, he keeps falling over
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Christine, the fact that he has a history of being stiff it is very likely his inability or unwillingness to get up and walk is because of arthritis of the hips, spine or both. However, given his age we also have to consider weakness secondary to other diseases like kidney or liver disease, infections, tumors, etc. to name a few causes.
My main concern would be to rule out things like tumors, liver or kidney disease, etc. as this can be fatal if not treated. For this reason I would recommend to have him checked by ER veterinarian. If this is related to arthritis then great, they can start him on medication to make him feel better. But, if related to something else then ER vet can start immediate treatment depending on exact underlying cause.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter