Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Hi, my dads 10yr old x breed had pyomera and had emergency

Hi, my dad's 10yr old x breed had pyomera uterus and had emergency surgery on may 18th floowing 24hrs of iv antibiotic and fluid therapy. Vets advised euthanizing and said her kidneys were severely damaged. She has so far managed to get through the GA, the op and is currently doing well. She is bright and drinks, pee's normally but is still selective with food. Only eating chicken or beef at moment ( i have started vit supplement myself) Vets are now saying results of her urinalysis test shows 0.6 and anything above 0.5 requires medication. I dont think we have given her long enough to see her kidneys regenerate and I know that the vet has taken advantage of dad before. Prescribing drugs for arthritis and when she had hip pin and plates that vet said no sign of Arthritis. Should i get a second opinion.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Well, the two main kidney values are the BUN and the creatinine. As these elevate, it helps to dictate the severity of kidney disease versus kidney failure. Now, a 0.5 versus 0.6 sounds very insignificant. It depends a bit on what medication they want to start.
Starting a kidney friendly prescription diet would absolutely be worthwhile once recovered.

But, easy answer for you. Never ever not follow your gut. Especially, if there is a history you don't like with this vet, than get the second opinion. Other than costing the money of the repeat examination, they should be reviewing all test results for you. Well worth it!

You have been through a lot already doing the surgery, so worth piece of mind to know you are getting the proper guidance!!!!

If you need any further help before rating, please reply. I may be about 30-40 minutes delayed in follow up answer if one is needed. Sorry if that is any inconvenience.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

creatinine normal urea down to 9 its protein in urine that is 0.6. I thought you had to feed low protein diet for kidney damage but they request high protein diet. Getting more confused by the minute.Undecided

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Ah...yes, that is called the protein to creatinine ratio UP:C.

0.6 is barely above the normal reference range.

Definitely, this is well worth a second opinion.
High protein diet? That makes no sense at all.
I definitely vote for you consulting another vet!

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory.
Dr. Andy