Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

in a nutshell what are the biochemistry markers of any cancer?

Customer Question

in a nutshell what are the biochemistry markers of any cancer? the ones that make you say "yes it's cancer" without a doubt. surely elevated any enzymes may not be cancer but what would for sure?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

We really do not have that kind of information available in veterinary medicine. We do not have one single value that we can look at from a blood screening to would allow us to definitively say with no doubts. :( If we are interested in one particular type of cancer based on exam, xrays, ultrasound, etc, we have some specific blood testing that can be done such as for lymphoma to elucidate types or if we have high calcium to increase our level of suspicion (PTHrp which is parathyroid related protein). But unlike people we do not have one blood test that we can easily do and that allows us to say "yes". All we have are patterns on screening lab work (such as mild anemia, elevated calcium) and then we must do further testing to confirm our suspicion.

Dr. Joey :

To get a definitive diagnosis requires a biopsy or needle aspiration of the mass to be evaluated by a pathologist.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know your questions.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what about Pal?

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
I have just done a veterinary literature search and cannot find information on this for you. Because I am unfamiliar with this I am going to Opt Out and hope another expert can provide some better information for you. I can assure you this is not commercially available for us in veterinary medicine, which means it may not be of known use, or is still in the research phase.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I'm not personally familar with Pal but you may find this LINK of interest which provides information about a VDI-TKcanine+ test which is intended to detect cancer cells. Unfortuantely, it doesn't differentiate which particular kind of cancer might be the problem ..just that it can help to confirm that cancer is present.

I've not yet used this test in my practice but believe that it can be a useful test in certain situations.

Deb