Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Excessive drooling from a three year old dog. Drooling fits

Customer Question

Excessive drooling from a three year old dog. Drooling fits last 1 to 2 hours. Dog vomits foam or swallows air. Gets very bloated and in discomfort. Prayer position such as the muscles from shoulder blades are very prominent. It seems excercise is the trigger, or getting out of the house for a walk. Anxiety and pain, discomfort, and for the first time fecal matter during one of those drooling fits. No tremor, no loss of consciousness. Has bitten her tongue today too. Feel very sorry for her. Has phenobarbitone, Zantac, omepeazole, cimetidine, and from tomorrow metoclopramide. Not a happy life though.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Jessie and I apologize for the delay in responding to you. Can you please tell me what symptoms prompted her being prescribed phenobarbitone? My primary concern at this time is that an underlying neuromuscular disease called myasthenia gravis is present and Jessie doesn't have a seizure disorder dictating the use of phenobarbitone.

In any event, such gastrointestinal distress necessitates a thorough look at Jessie's esophagus - first by X-ray +/- a barium swallow and then by scoping and biopsy of her upper GI tract if need be. I'm concerned that a megaesophagus exists either secondary to myasthenia gravis or as an idiopathic (unknown cause) primary disorder.

I'll await your reply.