Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Hi, My dog limps on his left leg and has difficulty getting

Hi, My dog limps on his left leg and has difficulty getting up from a sitting position also when he sits his left leg is folded under his body.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

I am sorry to hear about the troubles Charlie is having, but I am sure we can come up with some options. I need a bit more information to be able to help you.

How long has he been lame? Have you already had him in to see his veterinarian, and if so, what testing was performed? If not, is he placing any weight on the leg at all, toe-touching, bearing a good amount of weight but obviously lamen? Did you observe a traumatic event after which he was lame?

Dr. Joey :

There are many possible causes for what you describe. The most common injury is a cruciate ligament tear or complete rupture, which is in the knee. This can be very painful, and if confirmed by your vet on an x-ray will require surgery to fix. Other possible causes of a hind limb lameness in a dog of his age might include hip dysplasia/arthritis, hip or other joint dislocation, bone lesion (infection, tumor), and fracture.

The best next step for Charlie if this lameness has persisted beyond 24-48 hours is to have his veterinarian perform an exam (to isolate where he is painful) and then perform radiographs (xrays). Then appropriate pain medication can be prescribed for him and recommendations for therapy can be made. Until that testing is done it is tough to guess the location of the problem, and extent of the injury.

Dr. Joey :

You are doing great at home. The best you can do is encourage him to rest and try to avoid stairs and excessive exercise. Good job. I am reluctant to recommend over-the-counter pain relief since there really are not any good, effective products that I would consider "safe" in a dog. You canNOT use acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen due to potential toxicity. Aspirin is possible to be used but is not a very good pain relief drug in dogs and has a high risk for stomach ulceration. The best medications are those you can get via prescription from your vet.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can cruciate ligament damage be determined by x-ray due to it being soft tissue?

How long can I leave it if it is this problem before he needs surgery?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did not observe any traumatic event but he has been lame for about a month, he does put a little weight on it but he is very careful. He tries to jump onto the settee but fails and cries.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Yes, a cruciate can be determined/diagnosed by radiographs (xray) as there are some very classic changes we see. I always submit my films to a radiologist as well for confirmation. You can ask if your vet does this too.

If this is due to a cruciate ligament rupture/tear, then surgery is the defnitive way to cure but is not something to be rushed into. It can be done easily within a few months of the injury and still expect a good outcome. I have many clients who elect to pursue pain relief and rest for at least 6 weeks before making a surgery decision.

I would advocate a trip to see his vet and some xrays. Please keep me posted.
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience: 15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine