Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Yesterday my retriever had a bout of 24 hrs vomiting, tonight

Customer Question

Yesterday my retriever had a bout of 24 hrs vomiting, tonight one of my Newfoundlands is now vomiting. We have sheep grazing on our land who limbed about a month ago and the farmer confirms they have all been wormed. Is this just a gastro bug or should we seek our vets advice?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How is your other dog doing?
2- Any diarrhea?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- What is in the vomit?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My other dog is fine today. There is nothing noticeable in the vomit, just very pale cream in colour. Now just retching as seems to have emptied his stomach. But he won't drink at present either. He weighs approx. 70kg but difficult to weigh a Newfie properly
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Pam, this is not related to the sheep. This is either a bug or they could have gotten into something. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg every 12 hours for 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter