Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

She has had all the tests and screening possible, with cameras

Customer Question

She has had all the tests and screening possible, with cameras down her throat and up her bum, MRI scan, ultra sound and X-rays. She was diagnosed for phenobarbital responsive hypersyaloreadenosis. But she has never been well 100% with those a 2 hours per day. She used to be salivating all day long. She is on metroclopramide from today and waiting for things to get better. Looking at reducing her phenobarbital to 60 mg instead of 90, and eventually ween her off. When it started 18 months ago she lost half her weight within a few months the lowest she was was 11kg. Since having the phenobarbital she has put the weight on back to 17kg
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. I suspect that many vets - myself included - were wondering if we could add anything you hadn't already been told by the many specialists to whom you're taken your dog.

Three salivary glands disorders might be phenobarbital-responsive - sialadenitis, sialadenosis ("hypersyaloreadenosis"?), and necrotizing sialometaplasia. Any of these might benefit from additional therapy - pain management, antibiotics (based on culture and sensitivity of the fluid/tissue aspirate), nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs, antiinflammatory doses of glucocorticosteroids, and control of internal parasites.

I'm sorry to trouble you for more information but I need to know which of the above has already been tried and what your primary concern is presently. If you would, please clarify what "with those a 2 hours per day" means. I must admit, too, that I don't know what the indication for metoclopramide is in patients suffering from sialadenosis.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.