Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My Staffie Bull is 15 years old and has bad arthritis in his

Customer Question

My Staffie Bull is 15 years old and has bad arthritis in his back legs so can't walk much
he's put on weight. For the last 6 months he has been waking at 4a.m. crying and panting
we take him out to wee, he then goes back in his bed and within another 30 mins he starts
crying again. He's not in pain because when we sit with him he just goes back to sleep. Is it purely because he's probably senile or is there something we can do to change this.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Jaffa. My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

If he has arthritis to the point of not being able to walk much, some pain medication may help. This could be partly due to senility, but I sure would try some pain meds and see if he sleeps better. I know my arthritis seems to bother me more at night!

In addition to glucosamine, I like to give fish oil for arthritis. It is anti inflammatory, and there is evidence it can help with brain aging/senility.

I would also consider giving him pain medication like tramadol or gabapentin. These are prescription medications. It might also help to give him a non steroidal anti inflammatory medication. You could try paracematol ( 5 milligrams per pound once or twice daily) or aspirin ( same dose, give with food, stop if any vomiting). Better yet would be one of the arthritis drugs made just for dogs: carprofen, deracoxib, meloxicam.

There is evidence that supplements containing anti oxidants help slow senility/brain aging. Anti oxidants are things like vitamins A, C, and E as well as compounds like N acetyl cysteine, glutamine, and SAMe. You may be able to find a good anti oxidant formula at a pet store. "Cell Advance" is a good product made for dogs, available online.

DGP, "Doggone Pain" is an herbal product that may help with both arthritis and senility.

There is a prescription medication called Anipryl that is marketed specifically for senility/ "cognitive dysfunction". Most of the dogs I have prescribed it for did not seem to improve, but the ones that did respond to it really got more alert and less senile.

Please let me know if this helps, and what other questions you have.

Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating. Good luck with Jaffa.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Carol,
How is Jaffa doing?

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Rebecca

Could you email me your suggestions again because I mistakenly deleted them.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Carol,
This is the only way we can communicate. The website does not tell me your email.

This is what I wrote before:

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Jaffa. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca