Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Our pomeranian dog has been diagnosed with renal failure and

Customer Question

Our pomeranian dog has been diagnosed with renal failure and our vet wants him put down. Is there any treatment we can give him to help him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am so sorry to hear about Teddy Boy.

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

It would help if I could see the results of his blood tests, and a urinalysis ( did they test his urine?).

Rebecca :

It may be that his kidneys are so bad that nothing will help him. People with kidney failure eventually get to the point that only going on kidney dialysis will keep them alive.

Rebecca :

The first thing that may help him would be to start on IV fluids for a day or two, which means being in the hospital. If it does help, then you could continue giving fluids at home, by learning how to give them under his skin. It takes about 5 minutes once or twice daily and really helps some dogs with kidney disease.

Rebecca :

If he has protein in his urine, there are medications called ACE inhibitors that might help improve his kidney function.

Rebecca :

There a probiotic called Azodyl, that helps some kidney patients to feel better.

Rebecca :

If his phosphorus is high on his blood tests, a phosphorus binder medication may help him feel better. If he is nauseous, Pepcid AC can be given.

Rebecca :

So there are things to try.

Rebecca :

However, kidney failure gradually gets worse and worse, and at some point, no medication will help. If Pepcid and a phosphorus binder and above all some supplemental fluids do not get him to start eating, then he may be too far along. These things are worth trying; at least they may help him feel better.

Rebecca :

The website tells me you are online, but I am not seeing responses from you.

Rebecca :

Please let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Helen,
I hope you can now see what I am writing. Please let me know what else I can answer. I am so sorry to hear how sick your Teddy Boy is.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Rebecca - thank you for your reply. Teddy was put to sleep today at 3 pm. I just felt so helpless not doing anything for him. The vet said he would last for 48 hours on Monday but he soldiered on until today. he was very poorly this morning but perked up when my son and I took him to the beach this morning. I felt he should have had more help but all he had was 2 shots of anti sickness on Monday and Tuesday and one of antibiotic on Monday and one of steroids on Tuesday. Of course his kidneys were failing but I really felt he should have had more treatment. Perhaps he was too far gone, I am not sure - but it is too late now. He was a real character, totally hyperactive, rooled the roost here and was loved by everyone. Do you think he should have been helped specifically for his kidneys? - Regards - Helen

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Teddy obviously meant a lot to you.

I am not sure that any therapy could have helped him. Fluids are usually the first thing I try, to see if there is any response, like an improved appetite.

It would help me if I could see his blood test and urinalysis results.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. My sincere condolences.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Rebecca - thank you for your support. We have buried Ted in the garden and are making a proper grave for him. Do you think the vet would give me his blood results? - there was no urine test done but he was piddling ok up to the end. It would certainly put my mind at rest if I knew definitively that there was little or no hope for him. regards - Helen

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome.

Your vet should be able to supply the blood test results, if you ask for them.

My sincere condolences.

Rebecca