Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 12 week old chihuahua is constantly scratching . Has been

My 12 week old chihuahua is constantly scratching . Has been treated with Advocate
Nosing of any fleas . Can I use sulphur shampoo to break the itch cycle?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

The answer is yes, you may use a sulfur based shampoo, and it can remarkably help itching. Just be sure not to get it into her eyes (do not bathe head). As well an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine may also help (if this was my patient I usually recommend a dose of 1 mg per pound every 12 hours) which you can find over-the-counter at any people pharmacy. You may need to use a pediatric suspension, though, to get the right dose.

Dr. Joey :

Ultimately you will probably need to have a recheck with her vet. It is very common for our young ones to get a bacterial infection on the underside as a puppy is growing that might need an oral antibiotic to clear. Alternatively, we do see mites infestations (such as sarcoptic mange) that could cause profound itching and require a slightly different medication than Advocate to treat.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.