Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi my 13 year old shitzu is on a homemade diet due to kidney

Customer Question

Hi my 13 year old shitzu is on a homemade diet due to kidney disease. I live in Saudi Arabia and can't buy a prescription kidney food here. I've searched online for recipes and found one I've been feeding her: 1.032 kg dry white rice, 904g minced beef (not lean), 24 slices white bread, 8 hard boiled eggs, 24 calcium tablets, 8 multivitamin tablets. Please note this recipe is enough for 16 days. I freeze the food and take the days food out the night before for it to defrost. My dog loves her food. She weighs 5kg and has 302g og the food daily, just over a quarter for breakfast and the remainder for dinner. She has been on this diet for almost a month with no problems, but recently has developed loose stools. She sometimes doesn't make it outside. The stools are not water, but they rant firm either and sometimes have a mucus covering them. Can you advice me as to how to correct the problem please. It must be the diet as she has nothing else to eat. Thank you. Kim
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Here's a better balanced recipe from the new edition of Home Prepared Dog & Cat Diets, Schenck, 2010. It might suffice to correct Misty's loose stools although I am concerned that her renal failure may have worsened causing a uremic gastroenteritis.

ground beef, 25% fat, cooked, 4 ounces
rice, white, long-grain, cooked, 3 cups
egg, large, hard-boiled, 1 each
canola oil, 2 tsp
salt substitute (potassium chloride), 1/2 tsp
baking soda substitute (calcium carbonate), 1/2 tsp
salt, iodized (sodium chloride), 1/2 tsp
multivitamin & mineral tablet, kids complete, 1 each
zinc, 100mg tablet, 1/2 tablet
Total kcal as prepared = 1095 kcal which is the daily requirement for an inactive, senior dog of 34kg. The prepared weight is 657g.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response and info on a new diet. I'm a bit confused as you don't say how much beef the recipe calls for. Also I don't understand how much canola oil , is it 2 tablespoons or 2 teaspoons? I can't get canola oil in Saudi, can you recommend a different oil please Also you say the recipe is for a dog weighing 34kg. My dog weights 5kg, how much do I need to feed her? Sorry to be so picky but I want to do my best for my dog, she's very important to me. Thank you
Perhaps it didn't post properly. I typed "ground beef, 25% fat, cooked, 4 ounces". "tsp" is the abbreviation for teaspoon; "tbsp" is the usual abbreviation for tablespoon. You can substitute another vegetable oil for the canola oil such as olive, peanut, corn, palm, or coconut oils.

You can cook up the recipe as typed and then freeze what you don't use just as you're currently doing. That would be easiest. 5kg/34kg = 0.15. 0.15 x 657g = ~100g of this recipe daily for Misty.

Please continue our conversation if you wish. I'm pleased to clarify anything else you need me to clarify.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.