Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My two small mongrel dogs have returned from a week in kennels

Customer Question

My two small mongrel dogs have returned from a week in kennels and are sneezing and snorting out wards. No other symptoms, seem happy enough in themselves.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Al, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

It sounds like your two dogs may have developed or picked up an upper respiratory infection (aka kennel cough) during their stay in the kennel. This is somewhat similar to the viruses and bacterial infections that make the rounds at daycare centers for children.

In most cases, the symptoms will pass in about 7-10 days with no treatment necessary. Some dogs will become lethargic and run mild fevers; other dogs will benefit from systemic antibiotics although not all of them will (especially if the underlying cause is a virus).

I'll sometimes suggest over the counter antihistamines such as Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) which can help to dry up secretions. The dose is 1 mg/lb twice a day although sedation can be seen as a side effect.

As to other over the counter treatment options, cough suppressants can be given although I'm often hesitant to use them if kennel cough is the problem. I want those secretions removed from the upper airways and I rarely want to inhibit this reflex.

If the discharge becomes green/yellow or if lethargy or disinterest in food develops, then a vet visit can be a good idea; otherwise, I typically let these infections run their course.

I hope this helps; again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr.Deb - thank you very much for your reply, it will be most helpful for us. We will keep a close watch on our guys and if any deterioration will go immediately to our vet.

Al

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Al:
You're more than welcome; glad that I could help:)

I hope you'll keep me posted about them; I'd like to know how they fare.

Even after you've rated (if you do, of course), we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you.

Best of luck with them. Regards, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Al:

I’m just following up on our conversation about your dogs. How are they doing? Deb