Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

After surgery to treat a meniscus tear in a Rottweiler hind

After surgery to treat a meniscus tear in a Rottweiler hind leg we we're advised she may get diarrhea she is on Promax and Metronidazole she dedicated to day very runny but at the end a small amount of blood was passed is that common ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question about Lucy. Can you please answer these questions to help me understand her history better?

1) How long ago was her surgery?
2) Is she still eating and drinking normally?
3) Any new foods or treats since the surgery?
4) Any vomiting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr

Lucy had Surgery on Thursday 29TH Morning

Yes Drinking and Eating

No new foods

No Vomiting

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for answering those questions Richard. That is good that she's eating and drinking well. It is also very good that she's not vomiting. It sounds like your vet is being very proactive to help treat a possible post operative colitis situation. After surgery, some dogs can have their intestinal tract "stressed" out and they can have some diarrhea. The probiotic and the metronidazole are helping to treat this. With the very runny stool and the slight bit of blood at the end, it sounds like she still has gotten a slight bit of it. As long as she's acting otherwise normal, eating / drinking well, not vomiting and on these medications - she most likely just needs some time for this to correct. It isn't surprising to hear that this situation has happened with her. It wouldn't be overly alarming at this time.