Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi Ihave just found what I guess is a tick in the fold of her

Hi Ihave just found what I guess is a tick in the fold of her front ler ir is whitish with 2 black dots where it goes itn her looks abit like a big skin tag ?? help what do I do as all vets are shut now for bank holiday
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Brenda, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.
I'm sorry for this concern about Skippy.

I do have a few questions to ask first about what you're seeing if you don't mind:

1. Have you tried to gently remove what you're seeing with either tweezers or with your fingers (wearing a glove, of course)?
2. Do you think you could send me a picture? This LINK walks you through the process although it's not always the easiest thing to do on this site.
3. Does Skippy appear bothered?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have not tried to pull it out incase I leave anything in her She keeps scratching , has been off colour for afew day,s not eating much and eating grass when out also has vomited twice

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Brenda:
Thanks for the answers to my questions.

I wouldn't worry about leaving tick parts behind (the head) if this is, indeed, a tick. It's something of a myth that all the parts need to be removed at one time. If the head is left behind, it may cause a little local irritation but it will fall off within a few days; the last thing you want to do is try to remove it with a anything sharp.

I would gently pull on it to see if it comes off; if not, then it may be a skin tag after all. If that's the case, then these are benign and bother us more than the dog in most cases.

I doubt that this tick or tag has anything to do with her other symptoms. Gastrointestinal distress such as you're seeing can be secondary to a wide variety of things ranging from dietary indiscretion, viral or bacterial diseases, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, foreign body.

My suggestions for her nausea and being "off" are as follows:

1. Withhold water for 8-12 hours; just give everything a chance to settle down; then offer small amounts of water or pedialyte through the day.

2. Withhold food for 12-24 hours and then offer a bland diet of 1 part boiled chicken (or hamburg) to 4 parts 20-minute white rice. Feed only a small amount at one time, 3-4 times through the day. I would not feed any regular dog food.

3. You can give over the counter Famotidine if available in Ireland which might help with the nausea.This is available at most human pharmacies here in the States but I'm not sure what you'll have there.The dose would be 0.25 mg/lb twice a day.For example, the dose for a 30 lb dog would be 10 mg twice a day.

Other options include Omeprazole at a dosage of 1/2 mg/lb once a day. For example, a 30 lb dog could be given 10 mg once a day.

Ranitidine can be given at a dose of approximately 1 mg/lb which would be 1/2 of a 75 mg for a 30 lb dog twice a day.

Meclizine HCl (Antivert is one brand name) could also be used. It's an anti-histamine that can be used for motion sickness but it has anti-vomiting properties, too. The dose would be 2 mg/lb once a day. For example, if your girl weighs 30 lbs, her dose would be 2 tablets of a 25 mg tablet once a day.
Sedation might be seen as is common with some antihistamine drugs, though.

I would also try to prevent grass ingestion since this can be very irritating to the stomach and esophagus and could perpetuate the problem.

I hope this helps and that she starts to feel better soon. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Brenda:
Thanks so much for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And best of luck with Skippy. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.