Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 14 year old Bearded Collie was sick this morning and when

My 14 year old Bearded Collie was sick this morning and when I got to her she was hyper-salivating.

I rang my vet and they said to starve her for 24 hours, then small amounts of rice and chicken.

Now she is off balance, has trouble walking, falls over and very similar to her "being drunk"

Any advice would be helpful.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

When you say Bronte was sick this morning, do you mean she vomited? If that is the case and now she is acting drunk, then my stop suspicion is that she could be experiencing vestibular syndrome. Is her head tilted a bit to one side, and if you shine a light into her eyes are they slowing moving from left-to-right?

Dr. Joey :

(I meant "top" suspicion)

Customer:

Yes Vomited.

Dr. Joey :

Are you seeing the head tilt or eye movement?

Customer:

She is normally stiff without her medication: Zeridame SR, a steroid, and incurin

Customer:

her head is ok, and eyes followed the light

Dr. Joey :

So, this is less likely to be vestibular syndrome without the head tilt or eye movement but still possible. This means that her off-balance is even more concerning to possibly indicate she is having a primary cerebral (brain) problem such as a stroke event. That also makes this more of a medical emergency and I must advocate the absolute best for her is to have an emergency clinician to do an exam today. I would not recommend wait. This could also still be vestibular syndrome and she will progress into the eye movement (nystagmus) and head tilt, which is treatable and she will recover over time. But there are other more life-threatening issues that could cause stroke events like hypertension (high blood pressure) that really may need to be addressed now.

Dr. Joey :

There are other possible causes of acting drunk such as exposure to a toxin (ranging from eating a mushroom outside to antifreeze) to profound anemia/blood loss internally to an electrolyte problem (low potassium or low blood sugar); these are all conditions that need assistance today.

Customer:

Ok, thank you. I did notice mushrooms in the lawn. I will call the vet. Thank you.

Dr. Joey :

You are welcome.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.