Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi I have a jackdoddle he is fourteen months old I had him

Customer Question

Hi I have a jackdoddle he is fourteen months old I had him to vets because he had an Vichy ear they gave me ear drops. Did not work went back gave me eardrops against did not work went back cut hair inside ear and gave me tablets I pay for trement cost one hundred and fifty pounds and his ear is still hot and Vichy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. My moderator has asked me to see if you still need help. You do deserve the courtesy of a reply.

In dogs such as Winston in which multiple medications haven't been effective, it's important to clarify why his ear(s) has been so problematic in the first place. If an infection is present in his ear(s) but hasn't responded to two different medications, I'll take a swab of the exudate and examine it microscopically to see if I'm dealing with a bacterial infection, a yeast infection, or both. I'll then send the swab to the lab to be cultured and have a bacterial sensitivity performed which will tell me just what's growing in the ear(s) and which antibiotics are the best to use. Systemic antibiotics are rarely necessary for ear infections but a systemic antiyeast drug such as ketoconazole can work wonders when prescribed for 30 days.

An underlying allergy - to flea saliva, to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc., and to foods often underlies chronically reactive ears which won't clear up until that allergy has been well-controlled. It's important to discuss these possibilities with Winston's vet. A short course of a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone may be very helpful in clearing Winston's ear(s) in case environmental allegens are a problem for him. Rigorous flea control should be maintained in case fleas are contributory. Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that Winston's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from his vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (my preference). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.