Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We are looking after a six year old Labrador that has had diarrhoea

We are looking after a six year old Labrador that has had diarrhoea for the past four days, we have been giving him diarrhoea tablets twice daily for the past three days , but continued to feed him with dry food. he seemed to be improving marginally but today has deteriated and is vomiting also his faeces if water like. His temperature is approx. 103 and he is lethargic, the only food he has had today is one dry piece of toast and a three dog biscuits, he had a drink of water approx. half hour ago and vomited it back ten minutes later.

advice please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is the name of the diarrhea tablets he is on?
2- How much does he weigh?
3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1) Johnsons tablets four tablets twice a day for three days

2) 45 kgs

3) no - he has been under our control the whole time - when taken out on walks he has been on the lead mainly

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Anthony, as you may already know he has a low grade fever, normal temperature in a dog is between 99.5-102.5 F. Vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes are: Infections, ingestion of a foreign body, tumors, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with a veterinarian as soon as you can. Harvey may need some testing (xrays and blood work) to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Stop the medication for the diarrhea. Instead, start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter