Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We have a 12year old staff male lost a bit of weight around

Customer Question

We have a 12year old staff male lost a bit of weight around his neck back legs are a bit unsteady drinking plenty of water off his food when does manage a bit 20 minutes later he eats mud and grass and brings it back which is food and phelmy when resting he puts his head up and looks like he's trying to swallow I don't think he's in any pain sleeps alright very alert and his coat is still glossy and soft
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is it fair to say he is drinking more than usual?
2- To make sure I got this right, every time he does eat he will vomit, correct?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- How long has this been going on?
5- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1 no 2 most times 3 about a stone and half 4 about two weeks since he hasen't been on his long walks and he always has eating lots of grass even as puppy but in the garden he eats dirt then grass and makes himself sick
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Has he been having problems with his back legs for a while or also within the last 2 weeks?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he used be able to jump in the back of my van but just recently I've had to lift him in and out that's when I stopped taken out around our local field and jus t let go out in our garden which he has full access al the time he has three beds one in each down stairs rooms and thoruoghly spoilt ps he has suffered with constipation in the past and just recently
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Anthony, when we see weight loss of the back legs it is usually the result of a lack of use secondary to problems with arthritis of the hips, spine or both. The legs become smaller because of atrophy of the muscles from lack of use and lost of nervous input. The fact that he is also vomiting we also have to consider other causes like: Kidney or liver disease, tumors, etc. to name a few causes.
On history alone it will be very difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause. In this case, your dog will need to have a hands on examination by family veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's what I thought owing to his alertness and his coat is so shinny and his face fur and his ears feel like velvet just like when he was a puppy thank you for your expert opinion you have made us very hopeful with your help and intructions on what to do many thanks again AJ Masters
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Anthony. Keep me posted.

Dr. Peter