Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My six month old pup is very lethargic and off his food. He

My six month old pup is very lethargic and off his food. He has eaten part of a straw box sprayed with dog chewing spray and the only other things is a couple of flys killed with fly spray. He has been sick a few times, really worried about him. Can anyone advise
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Guinness is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he ate the box?
2- How much of the box did he eat?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- Any diarrhea or constipation?
5- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
6- Can you take his rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

7 hours approx. Since eating the box, ate edge of it. Not sure how much consumed as remnants on the floor. Weighs about 10.3kg. No constipation or diarrhea only vomiting. Checked gums look ok bit harder on a black dog. I only have a human thermometer so have no way of checking his temperature. Sorry.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Melissa, as you already know it is possible the vomiting can be related to the ingestion of pieces from the box. I would be concern about an obstruction. Or, there could be something completely different going on like an infection, other foreign body ingestion, gastritis, etc. The flies should not be an issue. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit, not willing to eat or lethargic after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hand on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter