Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My dog had a chip put in couple of wks ago .that night he was.

Customer Question

My dog had a chip put in couple of wks ago .that night he was. Limping on his right paw. Next day he was in so much pain I had to take him to the vets , he gave my dog an injection as he said it was a little swollen , my dog was in a lot of pain . He said to take him back the next day but fortunately he recovered and was back on form . He is back to limping today and I am so worried , please can you gave me any idea what could be wrong . He seems fine in every other ways . Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is Ann and I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

If the paw was swollen, then this is definitely just a coincidence that it happened at the same time as the microchip. If it was swollen and is swollen again, I would be concerned about a possible foreign body stuck in the paw (like a thorn), or an infection or abscess from a puncture wound. I would try using a bag of frozen peas or vegetables wrapped in a cloth to cold compress it for 5 mins twice daily while you are waiting to get back in to see the vet, and then I would have the vet shave the paw and look for scabs or puncture wounds or red areas to explore further. If nothing can be found on physical exam, take an x-ray of the paw. If nothing is still found, I would treat with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication for a week and see what happens... I would not use a long-acting injection when you don't know for sure what the issue is.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.