Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a rescue boxer she has spots over the top of her

I have a rescue boxer she has nasty spots over the top of her mouth and all under her chin which are getting worse. I had a boxer with a similar complaint and found that hibby scrub controlled this however this has no effect with my current dog. please can you help?
Many Thanks
Diane
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is she able to lick or scratch the area?
3- Can you describe the appearance of the spots?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They have been getting worse over a period of approx 6 months.

She can scratch them but also knocks them and makes them bleed when playing with our 10 year old male boxer.

They appear like water blisters look quite angry, but bleed quite a lot when scratched or knocked.

thanks

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Is she able to lick the area?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No.

I need to know how to treat it.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Diane, what you are describing can be related to a localized infections (fungal or bacterial), mites (demodex) or contact allergic dermatitis. This is what you can try:

1- Need to stop her from scratching area. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from irritating or scratching the area.

2- Continue to wash area with hibi scrub 2-3 times a day.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 10-14 days.

4- Make sure her eating and drinking bowl are made of metal, do not use plastic.

5- If no significant improvement after doing the above follow up with your family veterinarian for a skin scrapping and culture.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter