Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 5mth old border collie has been very sick this morning -

My 5mth old border collie has been very sick this morning - she seemed fine when she woke up but after food and walk she has been sick about ten times - she is drinking water and now just bringing up bile and wretching every twenty minutes.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you give me an update how Molly is doing?
2- How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has slept for a couple of hours and does seem brighter, no retching as yet. Not sure how much she weighs prob about 4-5 kilos. One of my concerns is that ten days ago she swallowed a liqui tab washing sachet - i gave her milk and she vomited and had liquid stools for a few hours but then next day she appeared fine. They are not on the poison list. But concerned they may have damaged her. Should i feed her? Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
How many hours has it been since the last time she vomited?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since she last vomited it's about three hours now and she has eaten a few dried Bakers biscuits which she appears to have kept down in the last half hour.. I was probably well out with her weight - more like 8-10 kilos - not fat at all but quite l0ng legs,

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Margaret, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter