Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Dog keeps rubbing bottom on the carpet and grass

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of Katie's uncomfortable condition. Did you have the anal glands expressed by her veterinarian, or did you do this yourself at home? Was there material in them, and if so, what color and consistency was it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I expressed the glands myself at home.Very little discharge. Smelt slightly fishy

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I expressed the glands at home. I have done it before but this time there was very little anal gland fluid and not as on previous accassions. Her stool is normal but sometimes she strains a little.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thank you. As you no doubt are aware, anal gland impaction/infection is a very common cause of the scooting you've described. If the color of the expressed material was a light yellow without pieces of cheesy-looking matter in it, the glands are most likely not infected, but there is some possibility that the walls of the glands are inflamed and painful. Another consideration is an allergic condition. Allergies can sometimes cause irritation of the rectum and the tissue surrounding it. Does Katie seem to be itchy anywhere else on her body?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No not itchy any where else in the body

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, Angela. When you expressed the glands, did you apply pressure from the outside only, or did you put your finger into the rectum and "milk" the gland?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Put finger in rectum and milked the gland

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thank you, ***** ***** you feel any swollen masses on either side?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No swollen masses felt

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thank you. I apologize for the delay, I'm in the middle of a busy clinic day and must opt out to attend to patients. Hopefully another expert will sign in to help you.
Best regards, *****
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

My primary suspicion would be a food allergy since you have ruled out an anal gland issue.

Anal gland sacs can be inflamed and irritated by diet and even if just expressed can cause issues in irritation and pain as you describe

Unfortunately the only way to test this theory is a food trial with a prescription diet that is formulated so that the proteins are broken down beyond the point of the body recognizing it (since most food allergies are protein based).

What this means is she would need to eat this food for a 1-2 month period and NOTHING else, no treats or other food. The options are hill's z/d ultra or royal canin h/p (hydrolyzed protein)

They are quite pricey but if this is the issue it will resolve with the diet trial

Once you can confirm that this is the case you can begin to add in foods one at a time every few weeks to test what the allergen is. For example what dog food he is on now going down the ingredient list on the bag every two So chicken...then rice...etc

I have a dog with food allergies and she has this issue and if she has anything outside of the dog food (whenever I try to change her diet to any non hydrolyzed protein she gets loose stool and excess rectal licking) she relapses

In addition, a family member had a dog years ago that all she did was lick excessively if she didn't have her regular diet. No diarrhea, chewing of feet, scratching anywhere else but just licking the rectal area

It is at least one thing you can discuss with your veterinarian that has yet to be explored.

The only other possibility that can cause the scooting/ chewing can be worms. This is less likely but still easily ruled out with a broad spectrum dewormer.

I hope this makes sense and apologize if you are having issues with the site today. Please let me know how else I can assist you both.
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.