Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi my dog is normally a healthy dog but the past 2 days there

Customer Question

Hi my dog is normally a healthy dog but the past 2 days there has been a slight change in him. He hasn't been able to jump up at us even though he attempts to and can't really get on the sofa either. He isn't interested in drinking water either but will take milk if we give it to him. He doesn't appear to bensure in any discomfort so we are slightly confused.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
2- Is he walking any different?
3- Is he limping?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
5- Is he on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Other than not going to the toilet as regularly as he usually does he seems ok and isn't really as energetic as he usually is there isn't really any other changes in him.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Is he on any medications?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He isn't on any medication and doesn't have any pre existing medical conditions either. He weighs roughly 2 stone I think we haven't had him weighed lately.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Cherrelle, Bruno being reluctant to jump without any other symptoms is commonly seen when there is neuromuscular problems like painful hips or a painful back. This is what you can try:

1- Start him on Buffered Aspirin 325mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for 1 week. You can buy buffered aspirin over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- Rest him, no running or jumping for the next couple of weeks. Activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash.
3- If no significant improvement in 1-2 days after doing the above I would have him checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
4- If he does improve continue to rest him as described above.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you that was a great answer I will start it straight away. What do I do about him not really drinking water?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I should have comment on the milk. Do not give milk, in general dogs are lactose in tolerant and most dogs will get diarhea. Offer him low sodium chicken broth.

You're welcome.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter