Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog fell Off a bed and hurt its leg my Auntie gave her 3

Customer Question

My dog fell Off a bed and hurt its leg my Auntie gave her 3 doses of ibuprofen one in the morning and in the afternoon and one at night, is that okay?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
It's best to avoid ibuprofen in dogs. At 100mg/kg it can cause gastrointestinal ulceration and at 300mg/kg it can cause kidney damage. Can you tell me, please, how much Poppy weighs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im not sure

I'm going to guess that a border collie/staffie of 11 months weighs at least 15kg and so if your Auntie gave Poppy 200mg of ibuprofen three times, it still wasn't enough to cause a serious problem. Just in case it's causing Poppy stomach discomfort, I'd like Poppy to receive an adult dose of the over the counter antacid PepcidTwo now and again in 12 hours.

...and please tell your Auntie that Poppy shouldn't receive ibuprofen again! Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Poppy, please?