Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My 16 month old chinise crested went to the vet this afternoon

My 16 month old chinise crested went to the vet this afternoon for an antihistamine injection for a skin complaint and has taken antibiotic tablets . I have just taken him for a walk and he was weeing blood . Would this be related ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Ted. Does he seem to be urinating more frequently or straining to urinate? What antibiotic is he currently on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is normal, when is he walking he cocks his leg up.. He I doesn't seem no different from what he is normally like.
The antibiotics are called: therios palatable tabs

Thanks very much
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that information. The Therios antibiotic is cephalexin and it shouldn't cause blood in the urine. Antihistamines shouldn't cause blood in the urine either. Blood in the urine is called hematuria and it can be from penis injury, prostate issues, bladder issues, kidney issues and blood issues where red blood cells are injured. I wouldn't feel that it is due to any of the treatments he has received at this point. The best thing to do is to get him back to your vet when you can to have them evaluate the urine to see what that reveals. There has to be a lot of suspicion for an infection I. The bladder or stones in the bladder causing this.