Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

my 8 year old labrador had tta surgery this morning and

my 8 year old labrador bitch had tta surgery this morning and we collected her at 5.00 pm and she could/would not stand to get to car and was carried on her bed[she had stood apparently and walked a couple of steps earlier]she has eaten a little but does nor want to move to go outside to urinate.will it do any harm for her to go all night without urinating as she is due her tramadol soon which will keep her sleepy?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Jacqueline, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Phoebe but I hope I can reassure you that her behavior is completely normal after a surgical procedure especially if it involved general anesthesia. Many of the drugs used will have the side effect of drowsiness for several hours so I wouldn't worry about her if you can't get her outside to urinate or to defecate tonight.
She may still be a little unbalanced/sedate tomorrow morning but she should be able to walk much better, especially if you assist her with the towel used as a sling.

Of course, Tramadol can also cause sedation/balance issues for some dogs; if she's been prescribed this medication for several days and this behavior continues, then you may need to discuss discontinuing it with your vet.

I hope this helps and that she's more like herself tomorrow. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Jacqueline:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And best of luck with Phoebe as she recovers from her surgery. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.