Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi my dog (11 year old Collie spaniel cross) has started

my dog (11 year old Collie spaniel cross) has started developing a rash on her belly, generally after walking in long grass. This of course is making her scratch, and this goes on for a couple of days. I feel that it is something like hay fever, and was wondering if you could recommend any basic treatment (cream etc) or is the best option a visit to the vets?

John
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is the name of the antihistamine you are giving her? Milligrams and how often?
2- How much does she weigh?
3- Is she licking the rash?
4- How long has this been going on?
5- Does the rash go away if she does not walk through the grass?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In answer to your questions:

1. Boots Hayfever & Allergy Relief (Cetirizine Hydrochloride 10mg) - 1/2 tablet twice a day, for 3 days.

2. Weighs about 23kg

3. Licks (doesn't bite) and scratches with back foot.

4. Getting on for a month, on and off.

5. She doesn't get in the long grass much of it's wet weather, and it does appear to ease.

John

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
John, one of the important components when dealing with a rash as you describe is stopping Jess from licking. You see licking will promote inflammation. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area. Do not let her scratch with her back legs either. If necessary place a very light bandage over the nails to prevent any self inflicted trauma.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy (chemist) "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a hydrocortisone cream. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. You can buy this over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

4- Continue on Cetirizine 10mg 1/2 tablet twice a day.

5- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.