Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my westie is taking vetoryl 30 and 10 = 40mg could this

my westie is taking vetoryl 30 and 10 = 40mg could this effect is eye sight .vet say's
it's cushing disease
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about the side effects of Vetoryl (generic name trilostane) and whether that medication can affect his vision.

According to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook common side effects seen with Vetoryl use include gastrointestinal upset including nausea, lack of an appetite, vomiting and diarrhea. There isn't anything listed about this medication affecting his vision.

However, Cushing's disease (hyperadrenocorticism) can cause an increase in blood pressure which can cause retinal bleeding and/or detached retinas and that would affect his vision.

Most of the time if Cushing's disease is well controlled the secondary hypertension it causes will resolve, but sometimes that isn't the case. I recommend that Jack's blood pressure be checked and if it is elevated that should be treated appropriately with medication.
It may help to split his Vetoryl dose into two doses a day rather then giving the full dose once daily. That can lead to better control of his Cushing's disease and may get his hypertension under control.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.