Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Hi I have a 15 year old female yorkshire terrier. She started

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old female yorkshire terrier. She started just recently shivering and her hind legs giving way.
She's not off her food. Drinking plenty of water. She has a heart murmur. Deaf in one ear and cataracts in her eyes.
What is wrong with her please.? She is my life and I hate seeing her suffer like this.
Thanks Tez
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Tez and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Pepsi's condition...I know, Tez, that this is very hard on you.

Most likely Pepsi has arthritis that is now blocking part of the nerve supply that is causing her hind legs to give way. The best treatment for this is aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs and a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin that will add lubrication to Pepsi's joints and ease this distress.

It is best, ***** ***** have your vet examine Pepsi since this condition could be also due to some other issues such as a stroke that will require treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for reply. We thought she may have had a mini stoke as her head sometimes is on one side. she cries a lot too and sleeps loads.

will make appointment to see vet next week.

She has been with us since 12 weeks old so yo can imagine how i feel.

Tez

Oh, Tez, I know all too well how special our babies are to us and how we worry...I hope she is going to improve with treatment. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Tez, and your precious Pepsi.

Thank you so much, Tez, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. Your precious Pepsi will be in my thoughts.

Have a wonderful day!