Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi my 12 year old retriever has always been very regular with

Hi my 12 year old retriever has always been very regular with toilet habits, once in morning, once in evening. However recently he has pood up to three times in morning and evening, almost as though he can't pass it all in one go. Sometimes he squats but doesn't produce anything. The faeces isn't runny and has no blood, and the total amount is very similar to the 1 poo he used to do. I'm aware of his age, he has arthritis and is now relatively slow but still keen to go for two walks a day. I'm just wondering if this pooing in smaller amounts should be cause for concern, he has no weight loss and seems as bright as ever.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I do have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind:

1. Is he neutered?

2. When he squats but nothing is produced, is there straining involved?

3. When he does produce the smaller amounts of stool, is there any straining involved then either?

Or are the smaller stools produced in his normal way?

4. And, just to clarify, the smaller stool looks similar in nature to what he used to produce...just smaller, correct?

There may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.

Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for reply. No he isn't neutered, yes there seems to be some straining involved, the stools are same as always, doesn't seem to strain when he produces stools. It's almost as if he feels there's more left but there isn't?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information.

I'm somewhat inclined to think that he may just have early senility or dementia issues going on. Dogs with this condition frequently develop changes in their defecation and sometimes urination habits. They don't typically strain but might easily become a little confused about what needs to be eliminated from their bodies.

While this may be the only reason more frequent stools are being produced, I'd also want to consider possible prostate issues since he's not altered.
Dogs can develop an enlarged prostate just like older men can; they can also develop infections and cancer as well. However, in the latter cases, these dogs are also usually straining to urinate, not just to defecate. So, I'll mention it to be complete but not necessarily to alarm you.

Older dogs can also develop masses either within their colon or external to it which might cause a bit of straining or changes in the amount of stool produced. Sometimes, these masses can be palpated rectally while others would need colonscopy to visualize.

Since he's otherwise acting healthy, especially for a dog his age, I might not worry too much about it but if he's due for a vet visit in the near future, I'd have your vet perform a rectal exam on him.

I hope this helps; again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks ever so much, I will get him checked over on his next medicine review visit
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
You're more than welcome and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, best of luck with your boy. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.